The Parish Council administers, at Parish Council level, the civil Parish of Hopesay, of which the main settlement is now Aston on Clun, situated on the B4368, 3 miles west of Craven Arms and 5 miles east of Clun.
Other settlements are:
- Round Oak and
- Long Meadow End
Parish Council meetings
A notice for each Parish Council meeting is posted a week before on the parish notice board. Members of the general public are welcome to attend meetings. There is a 15 minute period at the start of each meeting, when you can speak to the Council. After that you are welcome to stay and listen only to the rest of the meeting.
If you feel strongly about any topic concerning the parish, come to Parish Council Meetings and ask questions, state your point of view, or complaint. That's what the Parish Council is there for.
What elections are due to take place in May 2013?
Local elections will be held in Shropshire on 2 May for all parishes, towns and unitary (county) council seats. In total there will be over 1400 seats contested at parish and town level, and 74 unitary seats (representing 63 county divisions).
For those people who are elected, their period of office will be for 4 years, through to the next set of local elections in May 2017.
How to obtain a Nomination Pack
Requests for nomination packs should be made to the Returning Officer at the Shirehall in Shrewsbury - Tel. 0345 678 9015 or via e-mail to email@example.com. Packs will be made available on or shortly before 11 March 2013, although nomination papers can be downloaded from the Electoral Commission's website.
Candidates must accurately complete their nomination papers and be mindful of the exact area in which they wish to stand. For example, if you were to stand in a warded parish (such as Pontesbury), you would need to specify which of the Wards you wish to stand in (ie. Pontesbury Parish - Asterley Ward, Cruckton Ward, Habberley Ward, Plealey Ward, or Pontesbury Ward). To assist prospective candidates, two lists have been published on Shropshire Council's website, namely:-
- County Divisions and the areas contained within them
- Parish and Town Ward and the warded areas contained within them
Timetable for Potential Candidates
Anyone who wishes to stand as a candidate at any of these tiers of local government, should be aware of the following timetable:-
- 11 March 2013 - The Notice of Election is published and nomination papers will become available from the Returning Officer at the Shirehall in Shrewsbury;
- 12 March 2013 - Nomination papers can be submitted from this date until the close of the nomination period;
- 5 April 2013 (12 noon) - Close of the nomination period;
- 9 April 2013 - Last date to publish the Statement of Persons Nominated, which lists who has submitted nomination papers for that area to stand as candidates;
- 10 April 2013 (12 noon) - Last day for any candidate to withdraw their nomination, should they no longer wish to stand for election.
The full election timetable can be downloaded at http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/democracy.nsf/open/495DA3312EA52E8680257ADA003A4582
Taken from Shropshire Council web site 26th January 2013 -
The Parish Council have undertaken a survey of the footway lighting in the Parish. The questionnaire and the results are shown below.