History of the Village
Described as Westune in the Doomsday Book, Weston is thought to be so named as it lies 3 miles west of Hodnet.
The red castle, located on a hill within the golf course, was built by the Audley family in the early 13thcentury. After that time the village became known as 'Weston under Redcastle'.
Hawkstone Hall itself had long been in the ownership of the Hill family; possibly since the 16thcentury. In the early 18thcentury most of Weston was acquired by the Hill family and Hawkstone Hall was extended and renovated.
Around this time the gardens surrounding the Hall were extended and tree lined walks planted. Follies were established on and around the Redcastle and these were restored and opened to the public in 1990
The Park and its associated Hawkstone Hotel was a popular visitor location in the 17thand 18thcenturies.
In 1891 the population of Weston under Redcastle was recorded as 272.
The Hall and its surrounding land was sold by the Hill family to George Whitley MP in 1908 but in 1915 the whole estate was put up for sale.
1915 saw the construction of the Hawkstone Golf Course which added to the attractions of the Hawkstone Hotel. Fishing was also available on the nearby Hawk Lake.
To this day Hawkstone is famous for its golf course (two courses) and the Follies.
The village school opened in the 1840s was closed in 1981 when the school register contained only 14 pupils. Renamed Belfry Lodge the old school building is now in private ownership.