The village was originally a large piece of open common land with a sheet of water in the centre in the form of a bow, from which the name of Bomere Heath is derived - bow shaped mere on the heath. In the early 16th century families began squatting on the common or heath lands. Here, unlike some other places, they were allowed to stay in the cottages they built, but a small fine was imposed which eventually became a rent.
In the 1920's, Bomere Heath was still a hamlet, and the general water supply was restated to just three public pumps. In dry seasons farm animals had to be driven to spring-fed pools, hence the practice of building farm houses near to spring water. From about the middle of the 1930's installation of modern amenities eventually transformed it into a the village with a modern school, block of flats and bungalows for the elderly.
There is still some common land nearby called Merrington Green, from where clay was taken for use at Leaton Brick & Pipe Works and Old Woods Brick & Tile Works, no longer with us. Previously a gypsy site, in the Second World War it was used as an American camp, and later as one for German prisoners of war. It has now been taken over by the Conservation Trust.